Advantages and Disadvantages of Starting a Gardening BusinessWritten by Uwe on January 12, 2015
Starting a gardening business is a great business opportunity for anyone who wants to be self-employed and who loves nature and being outside.
According to various statistics, the demand for gardeners is growing. Gardeners on average earn $15 (£9) an hour. Landscape architects earn even more but you need to have a university degree to do this job.
In general, getting some kind of gardening qualification can be very beneficial and can boost your sales significantly.
So what are the pros and cons of having a gardening business?
Pros of starting a gardening business:
- Keeps you fit. Yes, being a gardener means doing loads of exercise which is good because you can become even healthier. Gardening includes various tasks, such as watering, trimming, raking, planting and much more.
- Great for outdoor lovers. If you love being outside and you can’t imagine working behind a desk, then this job is probably your dream job. Obviously, besides just loving the nature, you should have some knowledge about it too, which will be a great boost for your success.
- Consistent and ongoing. Gardens require constant maintaining. There is a high probability that once you’ve got a client, s/he will be your client for a long time.
- Flexible working hours. Everything depends on you. If you want to work today you can work but it’s totally up to you to keep some days free for family matters.
- Good salary. The amount of work you do depends only on you, so the more days you work, the more you earn. Do you want to earn well? Then you know what to do!
Cons of starting a gardening business:
- Affects your health. Gardening can have both good and bad effects on your health. Unfortunately, you might end up having back and joint problems because of the constant need to bend and reach. Check with your doctor first before you start your gardening business.
- Seasonal work. The amount of money you make highly depends on the weather. In winter you most likely will have a lot of free days in your calendar. Keep that in mind!
- Expensive tools. At the beginning you might need just a few basic tools, but if you want to offer more services you’ll need to buy more tools. Unfortunately, good gardening tools can be very expensive.
- Requires office work. Any business, including gardening businesses, requires some office work to be done. You’ll need to send invoices and quotes and track expenses in order to have a successful business with a positive cash flow. We offer you a solution in order to make your office work as simple as possible. We understand that after a long day of work you don’t want to spend hours in the office. Therefore, our online invoicing software is created so that it would save you time, money and effort. We offer your gardening business a special promotion code (GARDENING60) for an extended free trial of 60 days of our Invoiceberry PRO account.
- Always in the sun. Very often, the gardening tasks you’ll need to accomplish are in the sun. Being too much in the sun can lead to serious health problems. So before you start, consider how you’re going to protect yourself from the sun.
You don’t need a lot of investment to start a gardening business: a license, insurance, truck, flyers, garden equipment, business cards and, of course, great physical health.
You should consider the advantages and disadvantages of owning a gardening business. Keep in mind that these are not all of the pros and cons, but all the major things that you should think about.
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments below!
Create your invoice in just 60 seconds.Create and send your invoice in under a minute. For free. Forever.
Sign up today to see just how easy invoicing can be.