Small Business and Freelancing Roundup: Week of 29/04/16Written by Uwe on April 29, 2016
It’s the last Friday of the month. Time to reflect and evaluate April and prepare for May. Around the world Labour Day (International Workers’ Day) will be celebrated on Sunday and the UK will have a public holiday on the First Monday in May. What have been on the small business and freelancing agenda this week?
1. Entrepreneur has an interesting way of marketing your small business: follow the way Hollywood film makers do it.
2. What system to choose from when getting new tech for your small business: Mac or PC?
3. (UK) Small Business Saturday will be celebrated this year on the 3rd of December. The campaign promotes the UK’s five million small businesses.
4. Facebook’s “core competitve advantage” is with SMEs according to their COO Sheryl Sandberg. Over 50 million of them have active Facebook pages. Facebook is ready to provide an increasing amount of ad products to them.
5. The market experts at Business.com summarised their biggest worries for small businesses at the current moment. Issues include human resources, marketing, networking and finances.
6. Fortune gave 17 good reasons to start working for a small business rather than pursuing a corporate job.
7. (UK) UK small businesses lose an average of £1,658 a year to invoice fraud. In total this amounts to a staggering £9bn a year in the UK alone. What can small businesses do?
8. (US) Google starts adding Electricians and HVAC to its Home Service Ads program. A chance to grow your business?
9. Whether its a responsive design or the page load speed of your website. Here you can find practical tips on how to optimise your small business website for mobile devices.
10. (US) Are Value-Added Taxes (VAT) bad for small businesses or not? Real Clear Markets investigates.
1. Sumi Krishnan on why women should now choose to become a freelancer.
2. One-third of freelancers choose to be freelancers in order to spend more time with their families. 95 percent feel more productive when working from home. More interesting freelancing numbers here.
3. (UK) New research by the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self Employed (IPSE) found out that freelancers and contractors contributed £109bn to the UK economy last year.
4. (UAE) Freelancing and small businesses are booming in Dubai. Emirates 24/7 investigates 3 ways of making money from home when living in Dubai.
5. Not saving for your retirement when being a freelancer can be a financial mistake which you regret for the rest of your life. What else is financially important to consider when freelancing?
6. (US) The Bureau of Labor Statistics published new figures stating that 15.5 million people were self-employed in May 2015. By 2020 about 40 percent of the US workforce will be in some way or another independent workers.
7. A guide on how to start out on your own as a fashion online business.
8. Freelancing is scary and you can become very lonely working by yourself all day long. It’s all about sharing your experiences. What can be done?
9. (US) Over half a million new small businesses are started in the US every month. Do you want to be one of those new budding Entrepreneurs? Six questions to ask yourself before you go all in.
10. It can be hard to get started as a freelancer. Here are four tips on soft skills, persistence and marketing to help you get your first clients.
Create your invoice in just 60 seconds.With our online invoicing software, you can create and send an invoice in under a minute. For free, forever.
Sign up today to see just how easy invoicing can be.